Continuing to build on Occupy Democracy’s sixth core demand for a citizen-led constitutional convention with this event:
Designing Democracy for the 21st century
Why do we need a constitutional convention?
How do we design one that will have the best outcome for citizens?
May 10, 6-9pm Committee Room 5, House of Commons, Westminster
Energy is building for a citizens-led convention that looks critically at the present broken UK constitution and comes forward with proposals for democratic change. Jon Trickett, the shadow minister for the constitutional convention, supports the idea. King’s College, University of London, is drafting a proposal to create and run a convention. Could a convention draft an entirely new constitution or should it recommend reforms? Should Parliament have the final say on a convention’s proposals? Come and debate these and other issues with our panel and help build the pressure for substantial change.
- Aisha Dodwell, Global Justice Now!
- Frances Foley, Unlock Democracy
- Alan Renwick, Constitution Unit, University College London
- Julie Timbrell, Occupy Democracy
- Paul Feldman, Assemblies for Democracy
- Eddie Molloy, Electoral Reform Society
- Neal Lawson, Compass
Space is limited so register asap. Allow yourself enough time to pass through the security arrangements at Westminster.
Provisional set of demands
At the final general assembly of our 9-day occupation of Parliament Square in October, we agreed a set of provisional demands under three headings – People Before Profit, Environment Before Profit and Democracy Before Profit. These provisional demands will be subject to an ongoing, open and democratic process of refinement and improvement.
People Before Profit
• No Privatisation of the NHS
• Programme of Green Social Housing
• Close down Tax Havens
• No TTIP CETA & TISA trade deals
• Abolish Tuition Fees
• Living Wage for All
• Universal Basic Income
• No to privatisation of all public services, including but not limited to schools, police, public transport and public spaces
• Reverse Privatisation of Public Spaces
Environment Before Profit
• Ban Fracking & Invest in Renewable Energy
• New Green Deal including One Million Climate Jobs
Democracy Before Profit
• Reform of Party funding & lobbying and ensure full transparency
• Reform and Democratise the City of London Corporation and end the role of Rembrancer
• Introduce Proportional Representation
• MPs not to have second jobs
• Close the “revolving door” [between government and corporations]
• Oppose corporate secondment *
• On entering the Houses of Parliament members must divest themselves of all financial interests and this must be subject to credible oversight*
• Major democratic reform of the media in order to break the stranglehold of the media by vested interests
• Hold a citizen-led Constitutional Convention for real democracy which must recognise that a Constitution is a living document.
At the Saturday General Assembly of the November occupation we agreed the following amendment to an existing demand:
- Invest in renewable energy and ban the production and import of all unsustainable, dangerous & extreme energy including Fracking, Coal Bed Methane, Tar Sands , Arctic Oil extraction and Industrial Biomass.
and the following additional demands:
- A global decarbonisation programme for fossil fuels and an emergency transition to a truly sustainable energy system in line with the increasingly urgent climate science.
- To support the Universal Declaration of the Rights of Mother Earth http://pwccc.wordpress.com/programa/
- Right of Recall of MPs
At the December assembly we agreed the following three additional housing-related demands:
- Reintroduce rent controls.
- Use the one and a half million empty buildings in the UK for homes and projects to solve the housing crisis.
- Amend the LASPO Act 2012 to decriminalise the squatting of unused residential buildings.
At the January assembly we agreed the following four demands relating to arms, foreign policy and the economy:
- Stop subsidising and promoting the arms trade (currently £700m/year) including shutting DSO
- Don’t waste £100 billion on renewing Trident
- Cancel unjust debt to free countries from debt slavery
- Take the power of money creation out of private hands